Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Kitchen Chaos


My husband and I recently renovated our home which included a new kitchen fitout and removing and relaying new tiles. It was such a learning experience for both of us and as we discovered a renovation can be a nightmare. We encountered numerous hiccups, three of which I could declare as major. Not only this we also welcomed the arrival of our newborn Monty in the midst of it all adding a whole other dimension to the mix of things. Thankfully there were no issues with his arrival.

The experience was character building to be polite and I secretly shed some tears along the way as a means of ventilation and frustration. The outrageous levels of hormones circualting in my body probably didn't help the cause however I think I did okay.

We are really happy with the final outcome and still have some finishing touches yet to make but I think we achieved what we wanted to achieve - an open and caual space that was practical and functional. We really wanted to make the kitchen a central point to gather in our home so the incorporation of an island bench with an open space to casually dine, laugh and chat around was how I thought I could do this.

One thing I did learn about this experience is that what makes a home or space beautiful is not acutally what material things are in it but the experiences and people that fill it and that is why I cannot wait to sit around our island bench as a family with our two beautiful boys and hear about their tales of adventure over a beautiful meal. That in combination with our beautiful qld climate and the beautiful sunshine that filters through the bifold window on a cold winters morning is something we are enjoying very much.

No comments: